Search Results for: manage anger

How the Best Leaders Manage Anger

Anger isn’t all bad. Consider how it compels us to take action, and has allowed the human species to survive. But anger isn’t always helpful, or healthy. The best leaders know how to manage anger.
Posted in career, executive coaching, leadership | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

How Great Leaders Express Anger

How do the best leaders manage anger? Maybe a better question is, how do great leaders express anger in an effective way? I’ve been writing about this in recent posts. Leaders who are prone to anger can be the most destructive: each year, millions of employees unable to endure their leader’s anger either disengage from […]
Posted in career, executive coaching, leadership | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Leaders Prone To Anger

Are you prone to anger? I wouldn’t be surprised to hear you reply yes; leaders who are prone to anger are one of the most reported problems in the workplace. Unfortunately, it can also be the most destructive. Each year, employees unable to endure their leader’s anger either disengage from their jobs or leave entirely.
Posted in career, executive coaching, leadership | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Self-Management: Bringing the Whole Person to Work

I’ve been reading about self-managing companies who operate without a hierarchical pyramid. Frederic Laloux believes we can reinvent work for the future with a self-organizing organizational model. In Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness (Nelson Parker, 2014), Laloux calls this stage Evolutionary-Teal. Now, in the work I […]
Posted in career, coaching, collaboration, relationships | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Leadership Psychology Skill #3: Manage Emotions

Each of us is an emotional being. For decades, business experts discouraged emotional expressions at work. These days, we know it’s impossible—and actually detrimental—to ignore or suppress them. Instead, we learn to manage emotions. “In successful and emotionally balanced companies, the people working in them discuss things, no matter how bad things have gotten. They […]
Posted in career, collaboration, executive coaching, executive leadership | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Resilience: How to Manage Your Brain in Crises

As a busy executive, you manage people, yet the most challenging person to manage may be yourself. Stress and business crises happen all the time, and even more so to leaders. How can you manage your brain so that you develop resilience? I read a lot of business books, mostly on the people side of […]
Posted in career, leadership, learning | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Why We Need to Manage with a 3:1 Positivity Ratio

I’m convinced that most leaders could improve their ability to inspire great work by communicating more positive emotions. When managers communicate appreciation for what’s working instead of focusing so much on what’s wrong, they get better results. There’s plenty of research to back this up (Fredrickson, Losada), but it’s also something smart parents use with […]
Posted in career, coaching, communication, leadership | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Management with Positive Psychology: Smile

I’m intrigued by some of the latest findings from the study of positive psychology.  In particular, they’ve discovered three things can predict 75% of your success at work (the other 25% depends on your intelligence): How well you’re able to manage your energy and stress levels in a positive way so that your stress activates […]
Posted in career, coaching, executive coaching, outcomes | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Leadership Stress and Your Emotional Health

Everyone pays attention to the issues of emotional health when the stress gets so bad it starts to eat people up. It’s often only after the fact, when emotions interfere with their performance or someone becomes burned out.
Posted in leadership | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Your Emotional Health Indicators

Anyone can allow emotions to override discernment or rational thinking. But if this becomes modus operandi, it’s time to check your emotional health indicators, before unfortunate things happen.
Posted in leadership | Tagged , , | Leave a comment